HISTORY

Govan Town Hall was designed by architects Thomson and Sandilands in 1887 and completed in 1899 at a cost of £60,000. The elaborate Beaux Art Design of the building was inspired by Sandiland’s training in Paris.
The success of the local shipbuilding industry is celebrated through the design. Above the main entrance is the Govan Burgh Arms, a ship flanked by two shipyard workers with the motto nihil sine labore, nothing without work!